Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:30 pm

Starting a Nintendo 64 collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Starting a Nintendo 64 collection Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Firstly, great work with the site. I've always been really intrigued by unreleased games and the mysteries they hold. You all write well, and your articles and releases are great.

The Nintendo 64 was the first console I ever experienced, and I immediately fell in love with it. I've been collecting ever since, but, primarily because I'm 15 and therefore not financially independent, my collection doesn't include lots of hard-to-get items. I've got 42 games, and are wanting to boost my collection with some interesting accessories, third-party items, obscure games, Japanese imports or, of course, prototype, demo or kiosk games.

I'd really like to start getting some real collectables as soon as possible, or I'll simply miss the boat entirely and they'll all end up in the hands of other collectors.

If you guys know anything about the following, or know where I could get them, I'd be eternally grateful. Also, please, if you have rare N64 items, don't hesitate to PM me, whether or not you're willing to sell them. I need as much help as I can get expanding my collection.

Also, please note that I'm only interested in material items. I've already got the entire N64 ROMset, and a few extra prototype/demo/kiosk ROMs I've found around the place. Unless you have a cartridge of one of the games, I've probably already got it on my computer. That said, I'm always on the lookout for N64 ROMs I don't already have, so I might post a list of all that I've got later.

I was going to buy a Wide-Boy for a bargain price, but accidentally missed the auction. Ah well.

Yoshi's Story - International Version (http://www.gamesniped.com/2008/01/02/countdown-till-christmas-contest-voting/)
Mario no Photopi
Animal Forest
Turok betas
Super Mario 64 alleged beta
Frogger alpha
Majora's Mask kiosk
40 Winks prototype
Nintendo 64 test cartridge (http://limbofunk.com/n64.html)

Along with these, I'd love to hear about other curiosities in the N64 world that you think would be worth getting.

Thanks guys. Hope to hear from some of you, and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Franklint
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really gung-ho about collecting, you could add the Pokemon Snap sticker printer to your list. I seem to recall one or two people have one of those in their collection.

As far as non-proto N64 collectables go, there's the Blockbuster exclusive Clay Fighter 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut, and then there's all the different system and controller varients, like the Pokemon system.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're easiest resource is obviously going to be eBay.

Learning to search eBay for the items you want is the tricky part. Setting up custom search strings can be really helpful in finding the items though.

Check out www.gamesniped.com - they post links to rare video game collectibles (not just N64, but still) and offer some pretty strong custom search strings on their sidebar as well.

Good luck.

Edit - Just checked the site myself and found this Wideboy and N64 Sound Tool cart post just a few days ago, both auctions have about 3 days to go as of today:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/aliasharker_W0QQ_nkwZn64QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZQQ_sopZ12
Franklint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell yes.

Thanks heaps for the responses guys.

Skrybe, I've heard about the Pokémon Snap sticker printer, and saw an auction for one take place at one point. I'll definitely keep an eye out. Also, thanks for bringing Sculptor's Cut to my attention again. I know a bit about it, and sounds like just the kind of thing I'm looking for to get my collection off the ground. Not easy to get hold of, but common enough to be not outside my price range.

While I'm focusing mainly on games and accessories for the time being, I definitely hope to start picking up some controller and console variants in the near future.

handofg0d, thanks heaps for the advice. Indeed, I get the vast majority of my N64 stuff off eBay.

I found out about gameSniped the other day, and just visited it recently, and used it to find this little beauty (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300256418434). Seems to be a store demo for the 64DD of some sort. Unfortunately, I don't currently own a 64DD, but oh well Wink. I didn't see the Wide-Boy and Sound Tool auctions, but then again I didn't have much time at all to look at the site. Thank you so much for linking these for me. The Wide-Boy is the accessory I'm most after, and this may well be my chance to pick one up, as well as the rare Sound Tool. Brilliant auctions, thanks again!

I'm so glad this thread has gone somewhere. I've already gained some knowledge, even if there are no more posts. Hopefully, however, there will be. Keep the info coming guys!

Cheers,
Franklint
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty light on the cart based systems, but i'd be more then happy to get this thing out of my house (cheap): http://gamerhistory.com/hardware/N64Glove.html
Franklint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread again. For some reason, I thought I had, but it's pretty clear that I haven't.

ProgrammingAce, thanks a lot for the offer. At the moment, I've promised myself not to buy any more N64 gear, or anything off eBay, until the end of the year, because the Wide-Boy (which I got from this thread, yay!) took me down a bit financially. However, I'm going to do some more research on this "N64 Glove" that you have. If it turns out to be something I'd be interested in, I'd definitely like to start discussion over prices and so on. While this is unlikely, if you could hold onto it until the end of the year as a favour, I'd appreciate it.

Keep info coming!

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Franklint
Kiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an interest in the 64DD Add-on stuff? Or would be out of your interest/price range/etc.?
Franklint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kiddo,

Yes, definitely. I don't have any 64DD stuff at the moment, and it's definitely something I'm considering getting hold of in the future. The DD isn't extremely high up on my priority list, but still very collectable. What DD stuff do you have?

Cheers,
Franklint
Kiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I owned any 64DD stuff per se. (I'm storing up my cash for Satellaview things, myself.)

If you're just refering to what's available, I recall a site, I think www.64dd.net or something? Probably the most documentation on the games and the like I recall. The Mario Artist series, Doshin the Giant, Simcity 64, and the F-Zero X Expansion Kit were more or less the only released things, but there's possibly a lot of prototype stuff.

64DDs come up on eBay at around the 600-dollar range often.
Franklint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, haha. I see. No worries at all. My misinterpretation. Good luck with the Satellaview gear!

Yep, www.64dd.net looks like it. Thanks a lot for the link, seems like a very informative site, and one that may well help me track down some 64DD stuff.

Yes, the DD was quite short-lived, wasn't it? Didn't have a hell of a lot of releases, which perhaps makes it even more appropriate to collect as getting a full set won't be as hard as other consoles.

Wow, $600? Looks like It'll be a while before I get one, as I've got many cheaper things on my list. I might even start picking up some games now so I can use them when I eventually get a 64DD. I recall a recent auction that included the DD and every single released game that went for around $1000, I believe, so $600 for just the console makes sense.

Cheers,
Franklint
sebmal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
If you're really gung-ho about collecting, you could add the Pokemon Snap sticker printer to your list. I seem to recall one or two people have one of those in their collection.

I would kill for one of these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: