Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 pm

Best devices to dump SNES and Genny carts...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Best devices to dump SNES and Genny carts... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of SNES and Genny protos that I would like to back up. I use a CopyNES for my NES protos and I use an Eprom programmer for all of my loose chips. I'm looking for the best devices for dumping SNES and Genny protos WITHOUT removing the Eproms. I have removed and dumped socketed SNES chips, but I'm not very good at combing them into a usable ROM. The Genny carts that I have all have soldered chips and there is absolutely no way that I'm willing to desolder them to dump the game.

What should I buy and where should I find it? I'm not interested in sending these out to people with dumping resources as I'm likely going to be getting many more protos in the future, so no need to offer up that service.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure which sub-forum this belongs in, I apologize for my ignorance. After looking through the categories, this seemed like the best fit.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you, but this forum is just fine for your question. Really there should be a stickied topic for this kind of information...
drx

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Genny, you can build a MoD's transfer cable (google it), use a Super Magic Drive or something similar or build your own dumper.

I can help you with combining the eprom files into ROMs, if you want, let me know (I've done this more times than I can count, I have custom progs to ease the pain all over the place that I quickly coded up for various types...)
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if dumping protos would be any different, but I've easily dumped several of my retail SNES carts with the Tototek programmer.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
For the Genny, you can build a MoD's transfer cable (google it), use a Super Magic Drive or something similar or build your own dumper.

Seconded. The MOD cable is flawless. It's the shit. All it requires is a sega cd. If you're seriously interested, I could work on finding someone to donate a sega cd and I could make you the cable.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
drx wrote:

Seconded. The MOD cable is flawless. It's the shit. All it requires is a sega cd. If you're seriously interested, I could work on finding someone to donate a sega cd and I could make you the cable.

I've got a functional Sega CD, so no problem there. If you're willing to build me a cable, I'll definitely toss you the cash to make it worth your time.

I've tried googling Mod's transfer cable about a million different ways but I'm coming up with nothing, anyone want to toss me a link?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!
Jurai

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pretty simple cable to make, you could probably pull it off yourself with a quick radioshack trip

http://www.retrodev.com/transfer.html
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurai wrote:
Its a pretty simple cable to make, you could probably pull it off yourself with a quick radioshack trip

http://www.retrodev.com/transfer.html

I thought you were dead! Sup nig. Anywho, Jurai is right, that would probally be your quickest bet. I'd build you one, but it could take me forever with all the BS I'm dealing with.
Jurai

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah as long as you can tell how to wire it it's a quick job, the hardest part might actually be connecting it to your pc if you only have latest greatest pc's in your house
Kiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
I don't know if dumping protos would be any different, but I've easily dumped several of my retail SNES carts with the Tototek programmer.

I myself happen to have a Super UFO ROM Copier should I ever plan to dump any SFC ROMs. I've talked to some folks and they said that what I have should be fine as long as I'm not working with Coprocressors (SA-1, SFX).
hellohole

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best devices to dump SNES and Genny carts... Reply with quote

for snes, this is what youre looking for: SNES flasher

it's very reliable, and works great for dumping carts. i suggest buying the entire kit because those snes carts are good to have, but you cna also order the flasher only.

MrMark0673 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a bunch of SNES and Genny protos that I would like to back up. I use a CopyNES for my NES protos and I use an Eprom programmer for all of my loose chips. I'm looking for the best devices for dumping SNES and Genny protos WITHOUT removing the Eproms. I have removed and dumped socketed SNES chips, but I'm not very good at combing them into a usable ROM. The Genny carts that I have all have soldered chips and there is absolutely no way that I'm willing to desolder them to dump the game.

What should I buy and where should I find it? I'm not interested in sending these out to people with dumping resources as I'm likely going to be getting many more protos in the future, so no need to offer up that service.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure which sub-forum this belongs in, I apologize for my ignorance. After looking through the categories, this seemed like the best fit.
[url][/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: