Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

Found Ufouria Proto Screens, Some old, Some just found.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Found Ufouria Proto Screens, Some old, Some just found. Reply with quote

I was looking at the NESWorld archives about Unreleased or Exclusive games (Not the current one), The following proves that Ufouria existed before Hebereke

Ufouria had some very wierd screens during development, some screens include a Different Graphic like a Star instead of a Spinning Heart, Different Area Structures Different Status bar (8x8?) and used to feature some kind of Extra Counter for the power or weapon each character has.

they called the ball thing you carry around with you ''Popun'' or ''Popoon'' in japan, so I assume it's a Power/Popoon Counter.

The leftover heart graphics, a unused Copyright sign and the leftover ''Popoon counter'' graphics can be still seen in both european and japanese roms

The Faces were the life contaners while the game was being developed (Was going to be Mario Style Lives?)

There is also couple of enemies (all white, no red colored feet) where the birds are now that are not in that certain place near the first treasure chest (containing the password revealing ball) you walk to right after you fight Oh-Chan/Freeon-Leon is.

In under the same area, you'll see the Swimming Duck is also all white instead of having a yellow palette

Credit of the following pics goes to NESWorld.com and staff

Ad with Proto Screens

Different enemies near the chest?

In the cave, Maybe near the smiling sink?

Heads and Prototype Status bar, Bop Louie testing his new power

Gil is swimming. Strange Chains on screen?

Again with the proto status bar, And Bop Louie is creeping us all out by staring at us!

That is all I can find, Tomorrow, I am going to stay 3 days in Oregon for the last time. So until then, Later.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bop facing-forward graphic is still in the final cut (along with "face forward" graphics for the other three). it's a brief frame when he turns the other direction.

I have that same ad in an old VG&CE mag somewhere, plus the PAL version of Ufouria with the box. The back of it has two different screens, but both have the "faces" meter still there.

Curious, how does this prove Ufouria came first? Sunsoft was pretty well known for implementing/removing stuff from the western versions, all the way back to Blaster Master.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure ufouria did come first, or at least the ufouria character designs - the hebereke rom still has some ufouria graphics in it (but not vice versa). most likely the ufouria characters were intended to be used in the japanese market as well, but at some point during development they decided that that orange dinosaur whose name i forget wasn't a particularly interesting character, and that bop-louie's huge eyes just looked a bit creepy. and thus hebereke and oh-chan as the world knows them today were born. or something.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
the hebereke rom still has some ufouria graphics in it (but not vice versa).

Interesting. Might need to play around with the rom someday when I have more time on my hands.

Ufouria/Hebereke is one of my favorite games of all time. For whatever it's worth I think Hebe and Oh-Chan were much more interesting designs than Bop and Leon. Maybe it's because I prefer penguins to big-eyed snowman children. Oh well; Shades/Suke was always my favorite and he went unchanged.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also was the case with the Terminator (to be Journey to Silius/Rough World), It was meant originally for western audiences. interesting how Sunsoft had did that on these two games
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunSoft's game history is a bit strange...

You have:

Journey to Silius/RAF World
-All versions of this game are noticeably different.
-Originally meant as a Terminator license game

Batman
-Proto's got entirely different cutscenes.

Sunman
-Canned
-Originally a Superman game.

Ufouria
-Turns out Hebereke was the "convertion" (was Hebereke and friends already established as characters/a franchise pre-Ufouria?)

Blaster Master
-Japanese version Meta Fight didn't contain much of a story. Story/Cutscenes were added to the international version.

They really had a thing going for the west + games having radical changes (makeovers) applied to them. What about some of their other games?
Wasn't there a second NES Batman game? Does that one hide any secrets? What about Mr. Gimmick? Or Gremlins 2?
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
Journey to Silius/RAF World
-All versions of this game are noticeably different.

What's even weirder with that one is that the release dates weren't that far apart. I can't remember FOR SURE who got what first, but RAF and Silius were released about a month apart from each other; I had looked this up at one time and it seems like RAF came first. Whatever it was, they were very close apart.

I don't think the Hebereke characters weren't established until this game, but I could be wrong. Last I checked, they were still Sun Corp.'s mascots; yeah Sunsoft still exists, just not in the west. Could have been that Ufouria was in development first and they decided to plug these new guys in. Maybe Bop/Leon were "rough sketch" ideas they later decided to replace with Hebe/Oh?

It makes sense, Ufouria being developed first, the more I think about it. There were a few graphical things that were really touched up on in Hebereke (the well designed title screen).

But at the same time, there was that proto for Ufouria that had the birds that dropped poo (replaced with 10 Ton weights in final version) which Hebereke kept. Of course, this may be a weak argument for your theory.

All I know is I wish Hebereke would get a North American release... Sun remade/had the game remade on cell phone, you think one of the little development shops could take on a more up to date version. Even TOSE couldn't botch that one up.

Second Batman NES game was Return Of The Joker, which I refuse to play for principals I myself don't quiet understand.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ufouria did have another go, by the way (not just the cellphone port), along with Meta Fight and RAF World + a handful of other SunSoft games. There were these "SunSoft Collection" discs on the PlayStation that contained two games on each. Probably emulated stuff. (Think there were a total of 6 volumes or something. Been wanting to try to get a full set for some time, but money is a nice thing to have first)
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of the Playstation Sunsoft disks, and a couple of the earlier ones (RAF, Hebereke) don't have the DPCM sound emulated, leaving the games sounding a bit empty. The one with Gimmick, however, has the DPCM sound and Sunsoft mapper's sound working great.

That's really interesting about Hebereke, and when it comes to Sunsoft, anything is possible. They always did weird things to avoid massive success, didn't they?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
I have a couple of the Playstation Sunsoft disks, and a couple of the earlier ones (RAF, Hebereke) don't have the DPCM sound emulated, leaving the games sounding a bit empty.

That's pretty awful, as most Sunsoft games used that channel for the bass!
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must indeed be pretty awful. Especially considering how SunSoft games just rock the digested food out of anything and everything on the NES in terms of music.

I assume they're probably running with some sort of NES emulation? And is it known whether or not the roms they're using are the same as their retail counterparts?
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's any possibility for VC releases outside Japan.
I mean, they're still alive enough to have released a few games in Japan (Ikki, Atlantis no Nazo, Kantaro SuperLongTitle). So, why not elsewhere?
And Aero the Acrobat was pretty good, even if it loves to kick your ass.

(derailing)
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about the Sunsoft collection port (yeah, they're just NES emulation ports). IIRC, at least one of the Sunsoft collections are on the Japanese PlayStation Network store for download, but I'm not sure if it's that one. I have a Japanese account, but don't currently have my PS3 hooked up yet (still unpacking at the new place). I'll look for that one.

Have ANY Sunsoft titles come to VC? I don't have a Wii yet so... I wouldn't know.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the only one of their games to be released outside Japan on the Virtual Console is Super Fantasy Zone for Genesis, which I guess would be considered more of a Sega release by most.

I don't think Sunsoft has a US branch anymore, so I think the only way their Nes games would be released again is if they got licensed to some other company.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
I don't think Sunsoft has a US branch anymore

They don't. Haven't in quiet a few years. And even in Japan, they seem to be targeting PC/Mac/Cellphone platforms instead of consoles... but, maybe some other kind, small publisher would take a look at BlasterMaster, Silius, Gimmick, and my game crush. Slim chance, but I never thought those shitty Ninja Jamamaru Fami titles or whatever from Jaleco would reach our shores. And sadly, they did.

When I was in my late teens, I emailed Sunsoft's remaining US branch regarding info on Hebereke/Ufouria, and the guy that responded was pretty informative. If my Japanese was a tad bit less rusty, I'd consider e-mailing someone from their japanese branch... but my hands are full with my personal project.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they modified a few of the roms on there, the atlantis no nazo one had some codes in it that the original did not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VC release was modified?

I think I remember years ago, Skrybe tried to use some cheat codes from the PS1 Sunsoft Memorial version of Atlantis no Nazo, on the Famicom version. I don't think he succeeded.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
I think I remember years ago, Skrybe tried to use some cheat codes from the PS1 Sunsoft Memorial version of Atlantis no Nazo, on the Famicom version. I don't think he succeeded.

Yeah. The codes in question are here. The first four are from Atlantis no Nazo. I don't recall ever getting them to work, but I attributed that to the codes being ridiculously hard to enter. In particular, the invincibility code requires 55 button presses, using both controllers.

I think BMF was able to get some of the cheats working by hacking the game, but I could be wrong.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Yeah. The codes in question are here. The first four are from Atlantis no Nazo. I don't recall ever getting them to work, but I attributed that to the codes being ridiculously hard to enter. In particular, the invincibility code requires 55 button presses, using both controllers.

I think BMF was able to get some of the cheats working by hacking the game, but I could be wrong.

Some controllers had programmable macro buttons on them, but I only recall them for SNES and Genesis. Anyone know if they ever came out for FC/NES? Either way, if you have a PS1 macro controller...

It took me years to be able to enter the Ikari Warriors stage select cheat, but if I had a macro button, it would have been a piece of cake.

-Rob
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Skrybe wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Some controllers had programmable macro buttons on them, but I only recall them for SNES and Genesis. Anyone know if they ever came out for FC/NES? Either way, if you have a PS1 macro controller...

It took me years to be able to enter the Ikari Warriors stage select cheat, but if I had a macro button, it would have been a piece of cake.

-Rob

Not necessarily. Some programmable controllers were terrible and entered commands faster than the games could recognize them. I had two different ones for the SNES, one by STD(now known as InterAct) and one by Beeshu, and they were both pretty hit-and miss. The Beeshu was better, but neither was very consistent.

I did have better luck with a great arcade stick that came with different cables so it could be used for PS1, Saturn or SNES, but the programming only seemed perfect on PS1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: