Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 pm

Steven Seagal IS: The Final Option!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Steven Seagal IS: The Final Option! Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you guys have heard of (or maybe even played) this unreleased SNES game, but I'd never seen anyone actually look into its history much, so I thought I would devote my latest Lost Levels column at Retronauts to digging up what I could:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9018984

It's not all that interesting of a story at the end of the day, but frankly I'm kind of proud of what I managed to dig up and write about in a span of like, five hours.

DID YOU KNOW: If you press Select just before the first level starts, you can choose any level in the game? There are about 18, but outside of some interesting background sprites here and there, there isn't much to see that the default level didn't show.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, they couldn't even get Seagal as the motion-captured actor, eh?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe, but why bother paying a top-grossing Hollywood actor for four days of shooting when you could get a cheap nobody instead? Nobody would have ever noticed if I hadn't dug that quote out.
Celine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, I found a preview where seems an earlier version than the leaked proto ( or maybe iit s the GEN version ? )
http://www.iouppo.com/life/pic1/420b0493246989ea85238c0fc2e14f89.jpg
http://www.iouppo.com/life/pic1/ad826cbebac5f3fa740dfbabae83767c.jpg
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember doing an article for this game years ago, but I'll admit that I didn't really dig into it. No doubt it would have been another mediocre action game if released.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game would have been a total rip-off of Chuckie Norris' Superkicks.
THAT is why it was never released.
BBH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some bizarre reason I've always found that music in the first stage to be kinda catchy. HOI HOI
jinxingcjx1103
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this game

(Links removed.)
LocalH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y helo thar spambot
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the game could've contain the sarcasm of Seagal. This is clearly a example of a game that, if released, wouldn't get even my attention, but unreleased gets full attention. Very strange how it works eh.

Nevertheless i'm glad most developers figured out that digitized characters doesn't equal great graphics and/or gameplay. But hey, they could've figured that out with one of the first games using these techniques : the AWFUL Pit Fighter!!! HA HA HA
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:
If only the game could've contain the sarcasm of Seagal. This is clearly a example of a game that, if released, wouldn't get even my attention, but unreleased gets full attention. Very strange how it works eh.

Nevertheless i'm glad most developers figured out that digitized characters doesn't equal great graphics and/or gameplay. But hey, they could've figured that out with one of the first games using these techniques : the AWFUL Pit Fighter!!! HA HA HA

You do realise that keeping on after initial lackluster results would be how things are refined and perfected, I hope. If they had given up on polygons because of shitty games like Stunt Race FX, we wouldn;t have modern graphics.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
90's Gamer wrote:

You do realise that keeping on after initial lackluster results would be how things are refined and perfected, I hope. If they had given up on polygons because of shitty games like Stunt Race FX, we wouldn;t have modern graphics.

I agree, developers learn from their mistakes, it's a growing process. But also, some things didn't work from the very beginning. Mortal Kombat was the only exception that has come to mind that actually added something to the technique which was the main motivation behind it's creation; the humour and the unlockables.

In other words: It would've been just as good a game without digitized characters, maybe even better since it creates certain limitations in the creative aspect.

It's quite easy to see that a certain technique can be used either as a main selling point or as something that enforces the gameplay in general which is the main selling point. Unfortunately digitized characters were mostly used as the main selling point itself.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
If they had given up on polygons because of shitty games like Stunt Race FX, we wouldn;t have modern graphics.

I like Stunt Race FX.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:
If they had given up on polygons because of shitty games like Stunt Race FX, we wouldn;t have modern graphics.

I like Stunt Race FX.

Short, but very playable game. Yes.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:
KingMike wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:

I like Stunt Race FX.

Short, but very playable game. Yes.

Also ugly as hell with a terrlble framerate.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has, IF you compare it to the 60fps, detailed games that are released today. True 3D texture-mapped arcade-quality games didn't really come into the living room until the first Playstation, and i'm not talking about the downsized and slow Ridge Racer conversion, which was surprisingly very playable and fun nevertheless. The game does not adjust to what you prefer, the gamer must adjust to the game he's playing, that is, IF he wants to. Yes, Stunt Race FX demands a certain adjustment if you're used to today's games. To be honest, i'd rather play Stunt Race FX than a Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 3.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:
It has, IF you compare it to the 60fps, detailed games that are released today. True 3D texture-mapped arcade-quality games didn't really come into the living room until the first Playstation, and i'm not talking about the downsized and slow Ridge Racer conversion, which was surprisingly very playable and fun nevertheless. The game does not adjust to what you prefer, the gamer must adjust to the game he's playing, that is, IF he wants to. Yes, Stunt Race FX demands a certain adjustment if you're used to today's games. To be honest, i'd rather play Stunt Race FX than a Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 3.

I'd rather play a good racing game than be a retro-chic hipster douchebag, myself. Stunt Race FX sucked for its time. It was unplayable shit worshipped by Nintendo fanboys in denial that the 16-bit era was over, nothing more.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dedicated gamers, end of eras as such do not actually exist. Wink

P.S. Retro-chic 'douchebags' are cool! They even make you a nice cup of tea or coffee, didn't you know?
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Deadguy on Stunt Race FX... even for its time the game was way too choppy. Starfox could get away with it because it was about floaty spaceships, but a low framerate spells death for a racing game.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Stunt Race FX back when I was on a "collect games with funky chips that aren't well supported by emulators (at the time)" kick. I played it once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: