Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat May 18, 2024 4:48 pm

Star Soldier Special Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Star Soldier Special Version Reply with quote

I just noticed this when browsing through the most recent GoodNES set. The 2 and 5 minute modes seem to be the regular game, set to a timed score attack. "Rapid Measurement" records how many shots you can fire in a 10, 20, or 30 second interval.

So, anyone know what the story is behind this? It looks to me like some kind of contest thing. Takahashi Meijin, Hudson's spokesman, was known for his fast trigger finger and his skill at Star Soldier. The Rapid Measurement mode seems to have a pretty obvious connection to him.

This page has the only mention I can find of this version. They just pass it off as a dev cart, which I'm inclined to say is wrong. If you click on the thumbnail of the cartridge, it'll pull up several more photos, including one of what looks like another version with only the Rapid Measurement mode. You can also see Takahashi Meijin's autograph in one of the photos, pretty much confirming that he had a part in this.

Here's the rom. My personal best is 95 shots in 10 seconds.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was probably used at Hudson's "Caravan" tournaments they usually held. I think some of the later Star Soldier sequels included the 2 and 5 minute modes in their retail versions, like Starship Hector.

A lot of interesting items on that page. I'm kind of curious what this thing is:

http://tengokugame.free.fr/dossier_collector/safety_rally.jpg
etabeta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same as this

http://www12.plala.or.jp/ftobira/safety%20rally.htm

too bad there is no description of where the cart come from (a driving license simulator)

and still I'd swear I read some more about this (but I cannot find the link anymore)
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
This was probably used at Hudson's "Caravan" tournaments they usually held.

Ah, good thinking. I totally forgot about those! I wish it was easier to find info in English on the Caravan events. Between this and that Hi-Def Bomberman video that was posted here not long ago, you know they must've featured a ton of cool stuff.

etabeta, I'd never seen actual screenshots of Safety Rally before you posted that. Thanks for the link.
etabeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, going back to watch the original link about star soldier, there are clearly 2 different versions: the one in GoodNES and the one in the pictures. The latter seems to have only the time trial version of the game, while the former one seems to have both standard game & time trial.

I would guess that the one without the standrd game is more probably from some sort of promotional activity (e.g. Hudson Caravan), while the 'full' cart could come from some other event (or be a limited release)
Kiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for probably doing the mother of thread bumps, but I probably found something related to this of note.

Hopefully folks here may find it interesting.
BFC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone mentioned the one in goodnes is actually a hack. But I don't know the source of this anymore.

*edit*

found it - fcking mentioned in the goodtools forum it's done by Gorou

http://www.allgoodthings.us/mambo/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=42&func=view&id=1893&catid=6

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Denei/3370/SsSpVer.htm
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFC wrote:
I remember someone mentioned the one in goodnes is actually a hack.

Wow, I had no idea. That's a damn professional looking hack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: