Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:53 am

Has anyone heard about the Dos-game Microsoft Boa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olahh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Has anyone heard about the Dos-game Microsoft Boa? Reply with quote

On my family's first PC, which we got in 1992, we had a small and funny game for Dos called "MS Boa". The graphical interface is made with Ascii characters. With the mouse, the player controls a smiley (the second character in this picture: ).
An ever-growing snake enters the screen in the upper-left corner, and is constantly moving horizontally and vertically towards the player. The game is over if the player touches any part of the snake. In the beginning, it is easy to avoid the snake, but the available space for moving is quickly reduced. The goal is to survive for the longest time.

The game consists of two files, "boa.exe" and "boa.top". One day many years ago, I wanted to open the exe-file to see how it looked inside. I was probably 11-12 years old then. I had never heard about hex editors, so I opened the file in MS Word. I can't remember if I changed anything, I don't think so, but when I closed the file, Word asked if I wanted to save the file, and by a clumsy mistake I answered "yes". Of course that left the file completely unusable as an executable file because of the Word formatting.

Some years later I opened the file in Notepad, and saw that "Dean (super mouse) Ballard" has written the game. I once sent him an email to an adress I found on Internet, but I didn't get any answer. I would like to try the game again, but I can't, because no one else's ever heard of the game, and I haven't found it anywhere on the internet. But maybe you can help me? It was made in 1989, and is for MS-DOS. I think it's incredibly strange that on the whole Internet there is absolutely no trace of a game that the local PC seller in my small homeplace put onto the computers as a "bonus" back in 1992.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try searching for "snake" and dos or game or etc, same thing?

Edit: oh I see, you're AVOIDING the snake. Derp.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/disks-basic-games-2.htm ?
rdx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you ever found the game, but here it is.

http://ge.tt/62p7FIZ2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: