Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm

Capcom Fighting All-Stars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Capcom Fighting All-Stars Reply with quote

I find it strange that there wasn't already a thread about this.

Capcom Fighting All-Stars was basically a Vs. game by Capcom like Marvel vs. Capcom or Capcom vs. SNK, only in 3D and consisting solely of Capcom's characters. The game was presented at the JAMMA show two or three years ago and was scheluded to had come out back then, but for some reason or another, Capcom opted to cancel it along with a bunch of other games.

Screenshots of the game aren't really that hard to find (just Google it). The game's cast was comprised of characters from Street Fighter, Final Fight, Rival Schools and (strangely enough) Strider Hiryu. There were also three new characters, including Ingrid (from Capcom Fighting Jam). I personally would've preferred this over the sorry excuse of a Mugen build that was Capcom Fighting Jam.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RANDOM FUN FACT I FOUND OUT FROM TALKING TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE #27: One of the original Capcom proposals for a fighting game was Marvel Vs. DC. Both publishers were really into the idea, but both had a stipulation that no matter what, their characters could not lose to the competing publisher's characters. And since this was doubly impossible, the game never happened, and they just made X-Men instead.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this game got uncancelled and made it out. I guess not.

TheRedEye wrote:
Both publishers were really into the idea, but both had a stipulation that no matter what, their characters could not lose to the competing publisher's characters.

Wow. Way to miss the entire concept of fighting games. They're still really this insecure about competition existing?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
Both publishers were really into the idea, but both had a stipulation that no matter what, their characters could not lose to the competing publisher's characters.

Wow. Way to miss the entire concept of fighting games. They're still really this insecure about competition existing?

Ehhh. I suspect they didn't exactly know what was going on and/or they really DIDN'T understand the concept. Like, maybe they thought the computer would have characters killing eachother or something, because someone did a piss poor job explaining the concept. I mean, christ.

As for competition, insecurities has nothing to do with it. Around the time Marvel Vs Capcom came out there was a pretty big intercompany crossover that sold pretty well.

Nowadays the two companies have nothing to do with eachother, but it's because of management issues. Namely, the guy running one of the companies does everything in his power to act like a fucking child and the guy running the other wants nothing to do with it.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one of those two guys is Quesada? Razz
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if you had to ask.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Crossovers Reply with quote

Didn't Marvel and DC have a crossover of characters back in the late 90's? Wasn't it something like Spiderman vs Batman and Wolverine vs Lobo or something?

I remember Wizard making a big deal of it back in the day.
Mxyzptlk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel vs. DC even before X-Men? I kinda doubt it. It would make more sense around the time of Marvel vs. Capcom; (No DC? "Capcom" it is!) as the vs. games notoriously grew "bigger and better" with each installment.
Idea On the other hand, it always bugged me Capcom releasing X-Men to the arcade after Konami's beat 'em up. Now that game was great...
Mxyzptlk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's how it works. Great.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mxyzptlk wrote:
Marvel vs. DC even before X-Men? I kinda doubt it. It would make more sense around the time of Marvel vs. Capcom; (No DC? "Capcom" it is!) as the vs. games notoriously grew "bigger and better" with each installment.
:idea: On the other hand, it always bugged me Capcom releasing X-Men to the arcade after Konami's beat 'em up. Now that game was GRATE...

X-Men, Nightstalkers, and Marvel Vs. DC were all concepts around the same time, immediately when SF2 exploded. Nightstalkers was originally going to be a fighting game featuring Universal Studios monsters, but they couldn't get the licensing rights.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:
Idea On the other hand, it always bugged me Capcom releasing X-Men to the arcade after Konami's beat 'em up. Now that game was GRATE...

X-Men, Nightstalkers, and Marvel Vs. DC were all concepts around the same time, immediately when SF2 exploded. Nightstalkers was originally going to be a fighting game featuring Universal Studios monsters, but they couldn't get the licensing rights.

Interesting. Using their own characters (albeit based on the movie monsters) instead worked out better for them in the long run.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossovers Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Didn't Marvel and DC have a crossover of characters back in the late 90's? Wasn't it something like Spiderman vs Batman and Wolverine vs Lobo or something?

I remember Wizard making a big deal of it back in the day.

kap wrote:
Around the time Marvel Vs Capcom came out there was a pretty big intercompany crossover that sold pretty well.

Also following that was Amalgam, the only source for Lobo the Duck!
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalgam was actually during the crossover, I think. Like, all the stories took place between issues 3 and 4 or 2 and 3 or something.

I finally read the crossover itself a few months ago and it was surprisingly non-shitty. Good art and a nice plot, especially for something that could've just been a bunch of fluff for the fanboys.

On the other hand, Amalgam was just a big gimmick that WAS a bunch of fanboy fluff. The stories were dumb glimpses into ZOMG a universe where characters were merged together. The ideas sounded a lot better than the stories actually were. Lobo the Duck sounded especially badass to me, and I especially liked how it was supposedly issue 5 of a 6 issue mini series.. but blah. All a big letdown.

That Tangent stuff DC did was way more interesting, and most of that sucked too.
Dais

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday, when I'm a billionare* playboy genius game designer comic writer, I'm going to force DC/Marvel to let me write an actual monthly series with Access (the "hero" of the Almagam) as the lead. And it will be awesome.

*shut up
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that monthly story isn't about Access beating his children and shirking his child support payments to at least one woman in each the Marvel and DC universes, I just can't see myself getting into it.
Mxyzptlk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capcom is great, but I'm wishing it rather was MARVEL VS SUNSOFT! That would provide just the kind of superhero clash we're craving fore here. Almost.

"148347 HITS! Great!"

Of course, there's always M.U.G.E.N... With M.U.G.E.N. you mixed all kinds of unrelated and related characters. (raise your hand)
(raises hand)
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sardius board goes away for one week, and you guys bust out the comics stuff. I see how it is.
hippie pieces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some screen shots:

Daniel_BMS
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I haven't seen those terrain photos before.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game itself looked beautiful, but it also looked like it wouldn't have really been all that great of a game to begin with.

Keep in mind people... there had to have been SOME reason they chose Fighting Jam over this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: