Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 am

Mario vs Donkey Kong (GC)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Mario vs Donkey Kong (GC) Reply with quote

Sooo...
We got this game on the GBA...
But what happened to the GC version/disc that was showed off earlier at some gameshow?

It enabled you to create levels and both test play them on the GC + download them to the GBA iirc.

Here's a couple of pics I found on my HD but couldn't find on IGN during my 5min look around for more there.

Wish they had added it as a bonus disc or something in the Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA) box.
Just like I wish they would've added some sort of GC track designer for F-Zero in one of the F-zero games.

They really missed out on some really good ideas for GBA2GC linkup there.
Shiratski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew they where planning that!

Quote:

Preview: Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Pauline makes her glorious return, with a GC-GBA connection that you may not have expected.

Classic DK Jr. jungle fight! BEHIND YOU, IT'S A SHY GUY!

Last updated: 05/21/2002

One of Nintendo's key points in its press briefing was its connectivity between the GameCube and Game Boy Advance. One of the new games announced was Donkey Kong Plus, a revival version of the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

It features all the original levels, including 100 new stages of barrel hopping and hammer swinging fun, along with new moves for Mario. He can now double-jump, do backflips and handstands, and even catch barrels with his feet, which could lead to interesting gameplay possibilities. There are also DK-themed minigames planned for the cartridge.

DK+ will also support the GC-GBA link cable, using a custom level editor, which can be linked up to the GameCube to edit on a TV screen. There, your GBA levels can be stored in the GameCube memory card, or sent back down to the GBA and be saved there. However, there is no information as to how this could be achieved without a DK console game, unless the GC-GCN link cable can be used without a game in the GameCube.

Donkey Kong Plus is set for a Q1 2003 release.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/previews.cfm?action=profile&id=177

DK+ what a name Laughing

-edit- Found the IGN page http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/482/482128.html
Quote:
GameCube/GBA Connectivity demo that debuted in Nintendo's booth at E3 2002. The game was never released, and it's believed that the game evolved into Mario and Donkey Kong, shown the following year without GameCube connectivity.

(On another page the confirm MvsD is this game.)

Here a screenshot I found:
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pauline makes her glorious return

Did she appear in Mario Vs. DK to begin with?
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mario vs Donkey Kong (GC) Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:

Just like I wish they would've added some sort of GC track designer for F-Zero in one of the F-zero games.

Though didn't they do that on N64DD?
(though I don't think it'd be worth hunting down a 64DD when less than a dozen games were made for it. And there might be butter on it, too.)
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
Quote:
Pauline makes her glorious return

Did she appear in Mario Vs. DK to begin with?

Nope.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I kinda wish they would've stuck with the cutesy hand-drawn graphics, rather than blurry (and way overused) 3D renderings.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Daisy's appearances in several of the Mario spinoffs, I am wondering if Pauline will ever return in some form or another. Would be amusing if she ever came back in a Mario game, and it turned out she hooked up with Stanley the bugman from Donkey Kong 3. I kind of doubt Nintendo would bother, though if they ever do, there's a chance they could've ripped the idea off from me. I know you lurk on these boards Shigeru Miyamoto, so I'm on to you.

P.S. Could you convince Intelligent Systems to make a Paper Wario RPG?
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish Nintendo would've been better at supporting the GBA->GC link-up system...

The DK+ graphics seems like upgraded DK94 graphics (which ofcourse was a game kinda made to promote the SGB)
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Huh. I kinda wish they would've stuck with the cutesy hand-drawn graphics, rather than blurry (and way overused) 3D renderings.

Speaking of which, I wonder what kind of "look" were they originally going to use for DK in this game.

I really liked DK's design from DK94 and the G&W Gallery Advance artwork (which differs from the in-game DK, surprisingly), but they seem to be replacing it nowadays by many different interpretations of Rare's DKC 3D model, sadly. =\
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember hearing of this game some time ago. When you look at the GBA graphics and cutscenese they look a lot like they were probably rendered on a GC. Probably a full fledged cutscene rather than the few pictures shown on the GBA game.
jethro jazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:

yeah, totally. those shots look lovely, but tbh i thought mario vs DK was hideous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: