Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat May 04, 2024 3:53 am

SuperGrafx Version of Strider (nothing but a BS rumor?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: SuperGrafx Version of Strider (nothing but a BS rumor?) Reply with quote

Anyone who's fan of Strider probably heard about a so-called unreleased SuperGrafx version of the game. Apparently it was meant to be an overly ambitious port of the game, so ambitious, that it led it's lead programmer into a coma (or suicide, depending on which version of the story you believe). And as a result, Capcom decided to pay tribute to the programmer by having Hiryu throw a teddy bear in Ken's background in Street Fighter Alpha 2.

However, I've also heard various arguments agaisnt rumors and the fact such as:

A) The original Arcade version of Strider actually had a teddy bear in one of the stages. So the Hiryu throwing a teddy bear animation may

B) Capcom (or more appropiately, NEC Avenue) never officially announced a Supergrafx version of the game apparently. The only place where such a game was listed on a DieHard Gamers' Club and a gamestore owned by GameFan (incidentally, it was in GameFan where I've first heard the story about the teddy bear).
This is according to the following page (see Secret #25).
http://nfg.2y.net/games/pce/

C)The SuperGrafx version of Strider was developed by NEC Avenue (as noted above), not Capcom (who licensed the game to NEC to port it). It would seem odd that Capcom would pay a tribute to someone who wasn't even an employee of them.

D)The Supergrafx died out before it could establish itself in the market. Game developers were more than content to stick with the PC Engine and it's CD-ROM upgrade, so not many people supported the platform. If a Supergrafx version was ever planned, it was most likely cancelled due to the failure of the Supergrafx than anything else. Eventually, NEC released a PC Engine version of the game which ran on the Arcade Card.

E) I did a search with Google.co.jp and never found any information regarding such version of the game from any Japanese site. Considering the Supergrafx was only sold in Japan, I'm pretty sure Japanese sites would've more information on such a version of the game than western sites.

So what's your opinion on all of this. Basically, I think it's all a bunch of bullshit and that a Supergrafx version of the game was never planned in the first place.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally feel the story is false as well. Especially the programmer committing suicide. It has a very strong urban legend vibe, and sounds ludicrous. Also I've never actually heard this programmer's name, which should probably be a tipoff that its a legend.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got an old magazine with a screenshot of the supposed SuperGrafx Strider, but it's a Die Hard ad as you've already stated. That's all I ever saw of it.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I think I've got an old magazine with a screenshot of the supposed SuperGrafx Strider, but it's a Die Hard ad as you've already stated. That's all I ever saw of it.

The first source that I originally saw the pictures was in EGM... they printed pics from SGX Strider in their letters page and other misc places. Of course, who knows how credible EGM is, or whether they got those pics from Japan or just from DieHard? This was 1991 or so...
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of brings to mind the PSX Strider graphically, but my money's on it being all myth.
NFGman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I should point out that I've since updated that article to reflect the fact that several Japanese mags ran a half dozen screenshots of a Strider that didn't appear to be the Arcade version - tho it's hard to tell from the blurry scans I was sent. It could have been anything, but at least the game wasn't entirely the creation of DieHardGameFan.

It would have been interesting to see how good it was considering the SGX' superior Ghouls n Ghosts vs the MegaDrive version of same. Though if they'd stuck with the max 8Mb cart size it probably would have equalled - but not excelled - Sega's conversion.
Beeshu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of want to make reference to that PSX Strider they made some time back, but frankly I haven't played it and don't recall anything of the one in question.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeshu wrote:
Sort of brings to mind the PSX Strider graphically, but my money's on it being all myth.

Beeshu wrote:
I kind of want to make reference to that PSX Strider they made some time back, but frankly I haven't played it and don't recall anything of the one in question.

what
Beeshu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Beeshu wrote:

Beeshu wrote:

what

Forget it. I probably posted it once at work, forgot, and posted it again at home. It was a nebulous week.
AirRaid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Smeg wrote:

The first source that I originally saw the pictures was in EGM... they printed pics from SGX Strider in their letters page and other misc places. Of course, who knows how credible EGM is, or whether they got those pics from Japan or just from DieHard? This was 1991 or so...

sorry I am very late to this thread but I have something for you.....

here are the EGM pictures of the supposed SuperGrafx Strider in the letters section:

(part 1)

(part 2)

(EGM Number 18 (G.I. JOE on the cover), January, 1991 - page 17)

of course, those images being from the SuperGrafx is highly unlikely. they're probably from either the arcade version or the Sharp X68000 version which was extremely close to the arcade, much more so than the MD-Gen version, and beyond the capabilities of the SuperGrafx.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I swear I vaguely remember reading a rumor in Gamefan that 3 or 4 leaked prototypes of the game had been sold in the hundreds range. I've never found that issue again, so maybe I just imagined it at some point. But if they did fabricate that, maybe it's where the other rumors of prototypes of the game started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: