Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Sonic Xtreme leaked.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccoffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Just before some more bullshit rumours start flying off into the mist, Chris Coffin has two kids and a husband.

Actually i have a 'wife' and 2 kids Laughing ...anyways.. back to the topic of sonic extreme....

I was approached a couple months ago about my role on sonic xtreme via e-mail and i'm disclosing what I can, when I can, around my busy schedule on another forum. Some people have shown genuine interest in what happened back then on the project and in saturn programming in general, so i've decided to answer questions for the time being.
-Christina
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...do you go by Chris? Because that's what we refer to you as in our Sonic X-Treme article, I want to make sure it's accurate.
ccoffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i don't go by chris anymore, my previous work (game credits) lists me as chris, so chris can refer to me in the past tense in those cases.

Its a good thing I always wanted to be known as christina and not another name like michelle which would confuse the issue further Laughing
James

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad. Anything so much as rumoured about this project seems to take on an internet life of it's own, so I checked your Moby profile and assumed it was misinformation. My apologies :D

One thing I am interested in is that a few of the early plot drafts Chris Senn put up seemed to inform the plot of Sonic Adventure - was anythig worked on by you later used in part by the Dreamcast game?
ccoffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moby profile was written by me, but yeah its expected for people to make assumptions about the gender of who im married to.

After xtreme was shelved and my health recovered,
I did some prototype work for another character game that was designed by one of the game designers of a previous sonic game ('yasuhara' dont remember the rest of his name) but I was not interested in, nor involved in any other sonic work.

I passed on some of my saturn tricks to SoJ R&D to improve the Sega Graphics Library (SGL) before getting involved in r&d work around the dreamcast hardware (grilling the videologic/PVR guys to make their graphics core more 'game programmer friendly', doing some technical oversight work.
taiki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccoffin wrote:
The moby profile was written by me, but yeah its expected for people to make assumptions about the gender of who im married to.

After xtreme was shelved and my health recovered,
I did some prototype work for another character game that was designed by one of the game designers of a previous sonic game ('yasuhara' dont remember the rest of his name) but I was not interested in, nor involved in any other sonic work.

I passed on some of my saturn tricks to SoJ R&D to improve the Sega Graphics Library (SGL) before getting involved in r&d work around the dreamcast hardware (grilling the videologic/PVR guys to make their graphics core more 'game programmer friendly', doing some technical oversight work.

If you wanted to tell them to make the PowerVR chip more programmer friendly, should've told them to take tile rendering and shove it where the sun doesnt' shine.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the Sonic Xtreme saga never seems to end. Everything involved with it has more layers than you first think.

And I'm not trying to be poetic, I'm very serious. Everything I've seen relating to this game gets more and more confusing.

Quote:
Sad part is, assembler never had a second copy of Sonic Xtreme... it was all just a ploy to stur up people when posting was slow...

Not that I'm questioning you on this, but how did you find this out? Just because he didn't reply to the $10K SX offer?

I must admit, I was very busy with work so stopped posting, and so didn't notice any large exodus of users. What happened exactly?

(oh, and apologies for steering this thread elsewhere)
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really the place to get too far into the details, but i offered assembler $10,000 for the disc. I told him i would need proof that what he was saying was real, especally for that kind of cash. He told me that he didn't need to prove anything to me. He implied that i should just take him at his word without so much as a picture of the disc or a screenshot. Then he came out and said that the seller was 'spooked' and didn't like all the publicity he was getting from the supposed sale.

Which, of course, doesn't make any sense. According to assembler this second seller came out of hiding when he saw how much money the first disc sold for. Which is only because of how much publicity the sale had. So the idea that the seller suddenly became 'spooked' after only 12 hours is rediculous.

And you would think that if i had put a $10,000 offer on the table, assembler would have passed it along as he said he did, then the next logical step would have been for the seller to contact me in private. Since i'm hedgehog free... you can draw your own conclusions.
ccoffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'full copy' or something resembling an entire copy of the sonic xtreme game doesn't exist really. During development I split the source/assets up into single level standalone packages, boss rounds included to prevent a large scale 'leak' as a personal security measure.
The assembler disc is one of 3 cd burns made very early on that was just a 'rendering tester' - the contents of that disc are woefully sparse in comparison to later test burns and development. One of the discs was stolen from a breakin of my rental car during lunch when I was visiting the satellite office of STI up in orange county discussing integration of their 'saturn sonic R&D' into xtreme.

The only way something resembling a complete build of xtreme would surface would be from the direct involvment of 1 person that had the split source+assets. With all that said, your $10k reward will most likely never be claimed.
ccoffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taiki wrote:

ccoffin wrote:

If you wanted to tell them to make the PowerVR chip more programmer friendly, should've told them to take tile rendering and shove it where the sun doesnt' shine.

Sega of Japan had already decided on the PVR chip because the cost/performance ratio/manufacturing schedule +yeild/etc because our prototypes using nvidia and 3dfx chips were not favorable in comparison. That pretty much left us with arguing over API and minor changes before 1st silicon runs were made.
As much as people railed against tiled rendering, a lot of people didn't really seem to mind developing for it after being traumatized by the saturn Razz
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccoffin wrote:
...With all that said, your $10k reward will most likely never be claimed.

I knew when i made the offer that the guy didn't have the disc (which is really the only reason i made the offer). I really just wanted him to stop lieing to make himself look more impressive.

To be honest, i'd never heard of sonic xtreme before last year (when red eye brokered the deal for the real disc). I find the concept of the development interesting. Almost a lesson in how not to treat game developers, if you catch the meaning i intend.
borkbork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k would seem like a fake and ridiculous offer to anyone...

Good luck on getting the pc version out.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, having spoken with assembler at length, I am finding the claims made against him a little hard to believe.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean when you were interviewing him for your overly embellished and positive article about his "community?" Yeah, I'll bet he was a real stand up guy for that.

As for "claims" made against him, did you miss the part where he tried to get an innocent man fired for merely having a tangential relationship to an april fool's prank? That's not a claim, that's a fact.
borkbork

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't that prank crash his server for days? From what I read chris was in on the prank too.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borkbork wrote:
Didn't that prank crash his server for days? From what I read chris was in on the prank too.

Someone ought to make it a law to learn how to read before logging on to the Internet for the first time.
Fredde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, very sorry for the thread-necromancy, but there's one thing I can't figure out about this whole mess, and haven't been able to find answers about anywhere I've looked. Most accounts of the whole debacle goes something like "Sonic Cult does April's fools joke, some Cultists get angry" and then "some Cultists DDOSes ASSEMbler". But how are those two thing connected? Why did the Cultists attack ASSEMbler for something that Sonic Cult did?

I totally understand if you don't want to discuss this stuff anymore, but I'd be very gratefull if someone would explain the connection between the prank and the DDOS.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assembler does find some incredible stuff...really incredible stuff. However, I have first-hand experience that he has a habit of being a thief and a liar and often only makes right when publicly embarrassed. So, the lesson is, don't ever believe ANYTHING he says without proof.

-Rob
Fredde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Assembler does find some incredible stuff...really incredible stuff. However, I have first-hand experience that he has a habit of being a thief and a liar and often only makes right when publicly embarrassed. So, the lesson is, don't ever believe ANYTHING he says without proof.

-Rob

I'm not defending the guy in any way (I seriously don't want to take sides in this stuff), I was just reading about the whole thing here and there on the web and couldn't find any information on how "people gets angry at Sonic Cult prank" and "people does DDOS against the ASSEMbler page" was connected.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredde wrote:
"Sonic Cult does April's fools joke, some Cultists get angry" and then "some Cultists DDOSes ASSEMbler".

That does sound confusing, it sounds like they did a prank, got mad for unexplained reasons, then the DDOS the people they were pranking. It would make more sense if SC did the prank and Assembler got mad and DDOS them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: