Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Inevitable E3 2006 Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the majority of the people still running 95 and 98 are doing so because they don't have up to date hardware. XP is a resource hog, Vista will be even more so.

It goes without saying that serious or even semi serious gamers wouldn't still be using 95 or 98 as their main OS.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Oh god yes.

WHAT

Pit and Solid Snake?? I'd buy a Wii for this game ALONE!!
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Oh, and I met the lead designer of Ouendan while playing Elite Beat Agents today

SON OF A BITCH
Altered Bonk

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Oh god yes.

If there's not an item that changes you into an eggplant, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two down, five to go, Nintendo.

I'll be fair and weigh a new Kid Icarus title as two games.
cscan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really getting into what Nintendo is doing.

Pit and Solid Snake in SSB! What other characters would you guys like to see in the game? The fact that Konami approached Nintendo to include Snake opens up new doors for possible characters which is great because the series can only have so many entries with the same characters over and over.

Also I haven't heard this anywhere officially, so don't ask for citation, but what do you guys think of the tennis demo for Wii ending up as the next entry in the Mario Tennis series. To me it seems like the definition of a Mario Tennis game: multiplayer, short learning curve, intuitive controls. I'd like to hear some people weigh in on this theory.

EDIT: It was not clearly stated that the tennis demo shown at Nintendo's conference was the SAME tennis game that will be included with the launch title Wii Sports. I'd also expect a Wii launch title to look more like a finished product than that tennis demo did. It wouldn't be too unusual for Nintendo to have two versions of tennis because they ALREADY HAVE two versions of golf confirmed for Wii: the version to be included in Wii Sports and that stand alone Jappy looking golf title that didn't interest me.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscan wrote:
The fact that Konami approached Nintendo to include Snake...

More like "Kojima BEGGED Nintendo". Apparently he did this earlier on, right before SSBM was finished, but it was too late to go back and include him.

But from how it sounds, this may not be the last third party crossover. There were reports WAAAAY before last year's E3 that HAL was in negotiations with Sega regarding stuff. Now why do you think HAL would wanna talk with Sega? Once I heard that it was Kojima's request (and not so much Nintendo's) for Snake to be put into SSB Brawl... I gots to thinkings.

Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan looks like one of those games that would destroy my soul. It looks good, it looks like it plays good, but because I have no rythym... yeah, I'm left out.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I got stopped in the streets today from someone who recognized me as "the guy who does Lost Levels."

Twice.

E3 makes me feel famous!

I actually heard some people talking about LostLevels in the quad at LSU a few months back. It was funny. Until they said that it sucked that we never updated. That wasn't so funny.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to kev about LL the other day and he thought we just quit doing the site altogether like last year.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscan wrote:
Pit and Solid Snake in SSB! What other characters would you guys like to see in the game? The fact that Konami approached Nintendo to include Snake opens up new doors for possible characters which is GRATE because the series can only have so many entries with the same characters over and over.

Also, note how Nintendo has worked closely with many important Japanese game companies as of late, which leads to some big hopes in terms of secret characters...

Hudson: Mario Party series
Namco: Mario Kart Arcade, Star Fox GCN
Capcom: GB Zelda games
Konami: Metal Gear Solid GCN
Square-Enix: Mario basketball game for DS
SEGA: F-Zero GX/AX

I'd personally love to at least have Pac-Man as another unlockable surprise.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other crosslicence I really want to see is Sonic. I'm not really a Sonic fan, but if that wouldn't be the ultimate nod to the 16-bit console wars, I don't know what else would be. Okay, maybe Bonk/PC Genjin would work too. And Pac-Man I could see as well, seeing as to how he was already in Mario Kart R.

But Megaman? Master Higgins? Heihachi? Pretty much any Square character (unless it's Big Jim from Square no Tom Sawyer)? No, that would actually be overkill.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the promise of a lot of classic characters being introduced in this latest installement of smash bros is a nice gesture on nintendo's part i think, definately does get me excited to see pit in a game after all this time. that, combined with a lot of interesting mario titles really does make up for what i considered the gamecube to kind of lack to bring us, i felt like mario kart dd was pale compared to the 64 version and a big letdown compared to what i expected when i heard the premise. im sure im focusing on the top mainstay nintendo titles, and there are good and bad points in all of them, i'd consider the direction they're going with metroid to be a lil too masturbatory for my taste, but im sure other gamers will appreciate what is to come of that with the new controller setup.

a lot of these other titles are also very interesting to me, such as red steel.. assuming they get the physics of the game and the horrible vertical stretching aspect ratio boiled down to something feasible. i like the idea of them bringing a sports title at launch, but i think they spread the idea a little too thin there and could have went with a few more interesting sports brew rather than the 3 nobrainers of tennis, golf, and baseball. we could have seen a lacrosse or ice hockey game and it would have been killer as opposed to three games with the same similar theme.

the main gripe i have with the wii in general is the seemingly disregarded option to play these games with a standard controller. sure, the idea of the remote, nunchaku, whip, abacus, chopsticks, and everything else that comes along with it does look pretty promising, but honestly, lets not kid ourselves. i realize that nintendo is putting their best foot forward to truly do their part and revolutionize the way games are not only played, but also made, but i cant help but feel like this design spells disaster for not only younger but older gamers alike, which from what they stress is the focal point of the wii, whcih is to bring gamers together. it seems very confusing to have such great looking games but feel as if you're holding something in your hand as alien as what we're presented with.

the things i saw in the presentation are truly opening another level of gaming, forget what we thought of games being jacked up before; some of this looks downright befuddling. it would be interesting to think that if the actual gameplay werent ergonomically sound enough for the enduser, that you could use the classic controller to play them, but what happens then? to me it seems like the developers are tied into a constant thats similar to what they did with the eyetoy, and a lot of these titles that are coming with the launch that have a similar premise to them. you move around and operate your character with physical motion as opposed to letting your fingertips to the work. that takes the classic element of gameplay and with little or no recourse.

the main question on my mind is this: wheres the shootemups? it seems like this system would be able to handle a ridiculous amount of graphics and sound, yet i didnt see one shooter, wheres a gradius or an r-type or anything along those lines? where's a contra, or any real army type game? anything like that would put me in wii heaven, and im sure the controller would be comfort heaven with something like that, but i heard nothing of the sort about anything like that.

by the way...i run a windows 98 machine with first edition, but i use it solely to write music with. the reason being because i use impulse tracker to write my original tunes, which was written in assembly, and unfortunately requires dos.

i've tried dosbox and vdmsound and with both it runs like a piece of crap and the latency is unbearable. there are other impulse tracker clones around that were written, but all are buggy and just not the same as impulse tracker for me, what i gain in practicality with a different tracker/sequencer, i lose in functionality because after 8 years of using the program, theres key things that are different that just cant be emulated with other programs, such as non interpolated sound, the ability to grab raw pcm sound from any filesource, among other things.

i believe windows 98 is a good os for simple things, surely not multitasking, but i'd be lying if i didnt say i wasnt anxious to see vista. my main pc runs xp professional, and its good and has never let me down, and i can say the same for the 98 machine, but i really believe that windows is going to have a stacked os coming in vista. i think that them getting into the console game had to be instrumental in them getting this new os together, and im sure that they've got a fairly similar idea as to what nintendo is looking to do, but as for both i guess we're going to have to hurry up and wait to see what the future brings us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: