Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 am

Beta stuff from Hebereke - Includes Debug Menu Without Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Beta stuff from Hebereke - Includes Debug Menu Without Code Reply with quote

There is Certain Things I like from Hebereke (My favorite Famicom Game). For Example. There are a lot of unused sprites, 1 unused NSF track. and a ''NEWLY DISCOVERED'' Debug menu (At least, The Remains of it)

First, Download Djinn Tile Mapper, Put the Character/Tile Viewer at the End of the ROM (where the fonts are). And then Around ROM addresses 0xA000-0xBFFF. You can see the remains of a Debug menu (Hex Indicators, Text says ''Function'' and ''Flag''.) and it is found in Both versions.

And that is not all, At the Japanese Version's Title screen (Not European), You can see remains of a guy in a UFO (One of the bosses) in the (Irq-Activated) Sprite Character Set. That might be why the Unused Music is there. Still No code to activate.

The unused sprites are ripped, couresty of ArnoldRimmer, see later post from ArnoldRimmer

Note: There is also unused graphics in the text graphics:

*an empty small heart, unused,

*a full small heart (Used in credits, but ment to be in the game, see the thread below for beta shots),

*an unused Copyright icon,

*an unused ''..'' punctuation,

*an unused arrow/pointer icon, maybe used in the debug menu explained above,

*a Popoon icon which proves the prototype has a different status bar

the Beta screens with the ''Status Bar'' and ''Popoon Counter'' can be found at http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2045

Last edited by Hamtaro126 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Hebereke is a great game. Interesting stuff about the hidden characters and debug text. I knew about the hidden/unused characters (like the ceiling-climbing ninja), but not the debug mode.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bop Louie was originally intended to be the main character after all?
mrdomino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could well be the case.. both the euro and japanese versions are copyrighted in the same year, the character changes might have been a last minute thing for japan that didn't make it into the pal release. (i don't suppose there are any leftover hebereke graphics in ufouria?)
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping this topic, but the other thread on Hebereke/Ufouria reminded me of this one. There never was a follow up to this, so I went looking in the rom myself out of curiosity to see what I could find:

A lot of neat stuff. Since these are unused, obviously I don't know what their actual palettes are, but I just guessed using existing ones. The first row has the UFO guy on the title screen Hamtaro126 mentioned above. Second row has the ceiling climbing ninja Chris Covell mentioned.

The third has some kind of weird head/ball that looks sort of like Freeon Leon. Maybe an earlier design for the rock projectiles that enemies drop? There's also a cactus that probably would've injured the player, and Bop Louie squatting. (I couldn't find anything else for him.)

Now the fourth row has the most interesting unused graphics. It has a guy that looks similar to Bop Louie apparently struggling to free himself from being hung. There's also a cat that seems to have the same problem though he seems to be taking the situation a lot better. Maybe there was a part where you had to rescue them before they died? Though I wasn't able to find "freed" graphics for them. Unless Bop Louie squatting had some connection to it. What I wouldn't give for an interview with some of the staff, though its unlikely they would even remember what this was intended for.

The fifth row has that Hebereke/Bop Louie clone that was also mentioned by Hamtaro126. This isn't all his graphics as he actually has quite a few animations. I just posted a few, though I'm not sure I put them together right. Was he a prototype design for the main character or an unused enemy? And in the final row, a cat boss that seems to be wearing a shirt of some kind.

I realize the chances are extremely slim, but I don't suppose the Ninja, Hebereke clone, or cat boss might still have coding in the rom?
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking two things for the rope sprites there.

1. Some sort of trap attack (Ninja?)

or... since Ufouria/Hebereke is pretty weird and messed up game to begin with:

2. Remember that bird thing you bring back the egg to? Yeah, that one. The one with a pole sticking out of its ass. Could this be an "alternative" transportation method for that thing once you bring it the egg?

Though, the cat kinda looks like the big cat down below too. So maybe there's some connection there? Or that it's just an early design for that cat suit wearing thing that's Freeon Leeon's alternative in Hebereke.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Now the fourth row has the most interesting unused graphics. It has a guy that looks similar to Bop Louie apparently struggling to free himself from being hung.

Looks to me like he's being hanged. I don't even know how you would go about freeing yourself from being hung, let alone why.

On second thought, I can think of how but I wish I hadn't.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Sorry for bumping this topic, but the other thread on Hebereke/Ufouria reminded me of this one. There never was a follow up to this, so I went looking in the rom myself out of curiosity to see what I could find:

A lot of neat stuff. Since these are unused, obviously I don't know what their actual palettes are, but I just guessed using existing ones. The first row has the UFO guy on the title screen Hamtaro126 mentioned above. Second row has the ceiling climbing ninja Chris Covell mentioned.

The third has some kind of weird head/ball that looks sort of like Freeon Leon. Maybe an earlier design for the rock projectiles that enemies drop? There's also a cactus that probably would've injured the player, and Bop Louie squatting. (I couldn't find anything else for him.)

Now the fourth row has the most interesting unused graphics. It has a guy that looks similar to Bop Louie apparently struggling to free himself from being hung. There's also a cat that seems to have the same problem though he seems to be taking the situation a lot better. Maybe there was a part where you had to rescue them before they died? Though I wasn't able to find "freed" graphics for them. Unless Bop Louie squatting had some connection to it. What I wouldn't give for an interview with some of the staff, though its unlikely they would even remember what this was intended for.

The fifth row has that Hebereke/Bop Louie clone that was also mentioned by Hamtaro126. This isn't all his graphics as he actually has quite a few animations. I just posted a few, though I'm not sure I put them together right. Was he a prototype design for the main character or an unused enemy? And in the final row, a cat boss that seems to be wearing a shirt of some kind.

I realize the chances are extremely slim, but I don't suppose the Ninja, Hebereke clone, or cat boss might still have coding in the rom?

The Hebereke clone has code in the ROM, Just found it out when playing with RAM. I do not think the others have been found.

Although it has a nulled palette and graphics, so it uses chr bank $00, plus the fact that the throwing ability is unused. The palette was supposed to be yellow. But not sure.

It's proven to me that this sprite's graphics matches the unused graphics above for the Hebereke clone.

I will prove it later by remaking a savestate for Hebereke (J) because I accidentally deleted the savestate.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing fourth row is another prototype Hebe design. Must be before they finalized Sukezaemon/Shades as the character to wear sunglasses. I'm really interested in seeing this feller's other frames.

Those hangman graphics make me love this game, and Sunsoft, more than I thought possible. When I try to explain Ufouria to the average gamer, I always have to say "It's kind of a cross between Capcom's DuckTales and Metroid, only the character designers were studying Sanrio mascots while apparently sniffing paint thinner." Which is a cop-out quick explanation, I know, but GOD DAMN, if this doesn't prove the designers had something loose in their brains...

Wonderful. Just beautiful!!
Tongueman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hebereke designers really were wacked-out; the comic strip is even more baffling than the game.

And to add to the awesomeness, "Hebereke" has the equivalent meaning of our "shitfaced drunk" in Japanese.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
The Hebereke designers really were wacked-out; the comic strip is even more baffling than the game.

And to add to the awesomeness, "Hebereke" has the equivalent meaning of our "shitfaced drunk" in Japanese.

Actually, It is an assumtion, Correct me if I'm wrong, But the term and name ''Hebereke'' means ''Really Drunk'' or something like that

They probably did that along with the character changes for the japanese release to increase Ufouria's comedy content at the time, as Nintendo power says that Ufouria was to have some humor, Hence the game being a bit funny.

I thought the only comic strips were included exclusively in the OST ''Takusan Hebereke'' and nothing else.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll correct you. "Hebereke" means "really drunk", but it's a one-word idiom, so similar one-word idioms would be the best match for it in English, not just the meaning plus an intensifier. "Really drunk" in Japanese would be "sugoku/totemo yopparai." Colloquial words should translate to other colloquial words, not general words.

And the comic of Hebereke appeared in (at least) Famicom Magazine (I believe) around 1991 onwards.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
OK, I'll correct you. "Hebereke" means "really drunk", but it's a one-word idiom, so similar one-word idioms would be the best match for it in English, not just the meaning plus an intensifier. "Really drunk" in Japanese would be "sugoku/totemo yopparai." Colloquial words should translate to other colloquial words, not general words.

And the comic of Hebereke appeared in (at least) Famicom Magazine (I believe) around 1991 onwards.

Why won't you post the comic at your webpage for others to see (To perserve history at least).

Japanese idioms are very odd, Especially when it comes to this! Rolling Eyes *sigh* Confusing
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Japanese is pisspoor (what point do I have to really learn it anymore other than to play video games?), but I do recall hearing "Hebereke" being associated as "very drunk". The only reason I remember this was because there's a character in the Ranma 1/2 anime/manga series who goes to an all-girls school called St. Hebereke's Girls Academy, and that my former roommate, a diehard fan of the series at the time, explained that the name of her school meant "dead drunk". Not sure if that was literally "dead" or "plastered".

Sunsoft's character is more mischievous than acting like a fool. So I'm not sure if the name is supposed to be ironic, or just some other play on words.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
My Japanese is pisspoor (what point do I have to really learn it anymore other than to play video games?), but I do recall hearing "Hebereke" being associated as "very drunk". The only reason I remember this was because there's a character in the Ranma 1/2 anime/manga series who goes to an all-girls school called St. Hebereke's Girls Academy, and that my former roommate, a diehard fan of the series at the time, explained that the name of her school meant "dead drunk". Not sure if that was literally "dead" or "plastered".

that is not related to the game, this is totally different.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I put a couple scans of the Hebereke comic on my "Omake" page:

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secrets9.html
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both fantastic and mildly disturbing.

Awesome! Thanks for putting those up :D
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Okay, I put a couple scans of the Hebereke comic on my "Omake" page:

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secrets9.html

Wow, there's not a word of text and I still have no idea what's going on.

Hamtaro126 wrote:
that is not related to the game, this is totally different.

What's totally different? How "Hebereke" is used? Vague...
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:

I think it's Hamtaro-ish for "your post is irrelevant because Ranma is not Hebereke."

I'm not quite fluent, but I'm getting better!
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Ichiban Crush wrote:

I think it's Hamtaro-ish for "your post is irrelevant because Ranma is not Hebereke."

I'm not quite fluent, but I'm getting better!

I hate it when people insult me ever since Xkeeper insulted me like that.

I do not have my own language, OK? There is no contry that is called Hamtaroland (Sounds like a Theme park Wink). I am trying to improve my english problems but it is difficult when people do stuff to me

And what I ment is that Ramna 1/2's girl academy name and the game by SunSoft are not the same. In fact, Ramna 1/2 is a very seperate series altogether!

And Thanks to Toungeman for that Comic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: